I love watching the show Mad Men because I used to work for an advertising agency and can relate to the high-stress, crazy life of its characters. But besides all that I also enjoy watching the show for the wardrobe, hair and makeup styles of its leading ladies. In honour of last night’s season 6 premiere here are some tips on how to achieve two of the most popular looks.
create joan’s pouty red lip:
- step 1: exfoliate and moisturize your lips; create a simple and cheap exfoliant by mixing raw sugar with olive or coconut oil
- step 2: outline your lips with a cream based concealer and then fill it in. This prevents feathering and also ensures the lipstick colour stays true.
- step 3: apply lipstick. my current favourites are Ilia Arabian Knights and rms beauty lip2cheek in rapture
- step 4: hold a 1-ply tissue against your lips and dust translucent powder, like rms beauty ‘un’ powder to help set the colour
- step 5: apply a second coat of lipstick with a lip brush to smooth the edges and perfect the look
create betty’s sultry cat-eye:
- step 1: trace your upper lash line in one continuous motion until you reach the outer corner (you can also use short strokes or draw dots along the lash line and connect them. It’s all about finding the method that works best for you)
- step 2: once you reach the outer, corner angle the brush upwards to create the winged effect. If capturing the perfect angle is difficult fold a tissue in half and hold it against the outer corner of your eye. This creates a ruler that allows you to draw a more precise, sharp line.
- step 3: apply two coats of your favourite mascara in black
- step 4: practice, practice, practice! It took me awhile to perfect this look so don’t feel discouraged if you don’t get it right away
On a side note, I’ve tried several types of brushes and gel, liquid and cake liners to create this look and by far my favourites are bobbi brown’s ultra fine eyeliner brush and shu uemura’s painting liner